My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Discussion - Worst Christmas Present EVER

As I was getting ready for work this morning, Hubby and I were watching the news. Their discussion topic today was What was the Worst Present You've Ever Received?

For me - it was easy to remember. Hubby and I were still dating, and we had Christmas at my mother's house. At the time, her boyfriend/roommate/whatever the hell he was had his daughter and her boyfriend, and their two kids over as well. Kim and I were friends when we were in high school, but never really close. You know those people you hang around with because fate threw you together? It's not necessarily because you would choose them as a friend, but there's really nothing wrong with them. Well, Kim was that kind of friend. Her dad was dating my mom, and we were close to the same age - so we kind of hung out. We're nothing alike in any facet of our lives. Basically - she was the pretty blond, and I was the smart brunette.

My mom - God love her. While growing up, she never made any secret that she wanted a blond haired blue eyed child. She even told me that if she'd had her wish - I'd look different because I'd have a different daddy. Nothing like giving your only child a HUGE complex about her looks, right?

Anyway - we're opening presents. It's all good. Kim gets her present from my mom. It was a beautiful, satiny emerald bathrobe. Mom just went on and on about how she saw this robe, and just fell in love with it. It was so pretty and sexy, and she thought the color would look great on Kim. Now, it's my turn to open my present from my mom. It was a robe, as well. A granny robe. Pink and white quilted material, floor length, and a tie in the middle. Mom's like, "I hope you like it!" I put on my best smile and thanked her, but I was absolutely SEETHING inside. Kim got the pretty, sexy robe because she's blond, and I got the granny robe, because I'm just the ugly dark kid.

Have you guys seen that commercial where the guy asks the two little girls if they want a pony, and he gives the dark haired girl a toy pony, and the pretty little blond girl the real pony? Yeah, it's like that.

Hubby still gets the giggles about it. He thought it was funny. However, he also made me feel better by telling me that I was much prettier than Kim (I'm not, but it made me feel much better). In fact, the picture of me in the robe on that Christmas evening hangs in our hallway. It makes me remember two things - 1) Always make your kids feel beautiful just the way they are; and 2) When getting similar gifts for the two girls, never make them so different that one feels slighted.

So - what was your worst Christmas gift ever?

5 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

I don't know what my worst Christmas gift was because our house burned down on Christmas Day and I'm sure it was in one of the presents I never saw...or
It could have been the Christmas I spent in Viet Nam when all we got was rocket attacks...your suppose to save those for the Fourth of July.
I can remember being disappointed at Christmas time when it appears that no one knows a dang thing about what you like but that is just being ungrateful for what you already have and don't give it it's proper worth...it is the giving that is the gift, so get out there and give me stuff till it hurts. Merry Christmas Calli and LOWK.

December 28, 2009 1:20 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Not THIS Christmas, right???

And you are very right - I should have just been appreciative of the THOUGHT that went into giving me that ugly granny robe. Not the ugly robe itself. :-D

Hope you and Mo have a Wonderful New Year!!!

December 28, 2009 3:09 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Not this Christmas...long long time ago...
I think you would look great in that ugly robe. It's what's inside the wrapping, not the wrapper that counts.

December 28, 2009 3:48 PM  
Blogger The Wonder Worrier said...

Callie, I don't think I've had a "worst gift ever" moment like that yet... maybe mine is still to come!

There was the one Christmas where my mom got my nearly what I asked for, but always Not Quite Right. I had wanted some sort of MP3 player and she gave me a discman (this was as discman's had just gone completely out of style).... as an example. Honestly, as the years continue to pass, I'm forgetting more and more about that event... but I just remember feeling like, "This is ALMOST the thing I wanted, almost" and having to grin and be thankful.

In writing that I feel like a selfish brat, so I need to disclaimer this with this: I didn't feel disappointed and unappreciative of what I did receive; it's just a matter of answering the question "what's your worst gift" and that was one Christmas that was a little less than 100% perfect.

Sorry your Momma didn't give you the sexy robe! Maybe she just had a harder time giving her biological daughter something SEXY! haha.

December 28, 2009 3:55 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

You know - it really wasn't the gift that got to me. The robe was . . . a robe. It was the feeling behind it that bothered me more.

December 29, 2009 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home