My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Has it really been over 3 weeks?

My goodness, how time flies.

Not much happening here. We had a lovely Christmas. Lots of stuff for the kids. Good food was consumed (most of it cooked by yours truly), and my kids actually got a chance to meet my dad.

What? you ask. They've never met their grandfather??

Nope - not once. This was the first time they met.

But, how can that be? you may be wondering. Kidlet is 12 years old, for goodness sake!

Long story short - dad lives in Idaho, and neither of us are very good at the whole family bonding thing. In all honesty, the first time I actually remember seeing my dad, I was 15. I mean, I have pictures of him and me from when I was a baby and toddler. But, really, who can remember that far back? I remember, when I was 5, visiting my dad and stepmom. However, the only thing I can remember from that visit is my stepmom. She's WONDERFUL. She made me a yellow dress, with my name stitched in red across the right pocket, and a matching yellow hat. I also remember I had chicken pox at the time, and my mom had been following the doctor's orders and giving me sits-baths, with tons of baking soda. It left me feeling icky. On that visit, my stepmother let me have a regular bath, with a little baking soda. I just remember feeling so good after that bath.

But I don't remember my dad. I think he went fishing.

Over the years, I came to realize that my dad (obviously) isn't much of a dad at all. He's the sperm donor. Which is sad, really, because I look so much like him, and I have alot of his traits and mannerisms.

To be honest, I was dreading this visit. I don't really like my dad. I may look like him, and act like him in many respects; but one thing I got from my mom is this bad habit of not shutting up when I probably really should. I was scared he would say something stupid, and that I would just go off. But, he only said one really stupid thing, and I let it go without saying a word. Go me! It helps that they were only here for a day. They showed up on Christmas Eve, and left Christmas Day. Just the right amount of time to be civil and polite, and accept people for who they are, instead of who you want them to be.

Have a good day, folks!

3 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

I am sorry you do not have a close connection with your biological father. It may be better that way for the kids if he is the way you say but it is nice they got to meet him. I have memories of my dad but I was 7 when he was killed, so all my memories are childhood stuff. Would have been nice to know him better. Glad your back to say hello too.

January 17, 2008 1:04 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

That's too bad, Mystic!

It's strange to say, but in all honesty, the closest thing I had to a "father figure" in my life was my Grandmother. She was a mean old biddy - definately the disciplinarian in the house. I'm sure she would have given even a battalion of Marines a run for their money!

LOL!

January 17, 2008 4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I’m glad that you dad’s visit went so smoothly, Callie. With that happening as it did, your Christmas was blessed. May the new year be for you an even greater blessing.

January 28, 2008 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home