My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Memory is Swiss Cheese

The closer I get to Christmas, the more I seem to forget.

This morning, I got the salad ready that I was bringing for work today. I took it out of the fridge, and put it in a bag, along with the salad scoopers for everyone to use. I got Munchkin ready, and remembered to pack up all the little gift bags for her Kindergarten's Christmas Party. I remembered we were supposed to leave early so she and I could get to the Book Faire they have going on at her school. Got out of the house, got her to school, handed over the gift bags, got some books, got my hiney back in my car, and drove off. I was about 5 miles from my house, when I realized that I left the salad on the counter in the kitchen.

D'oh!

So, I flipped a U-Turn while calling my boss on a road that I probably shouldn't have made a U-Turn on in the pouring rain, and high-tailed it back to the house. While driving back, I figured I could make a cup of coffee to bring with me, as I'd only had one cup that morning. I remember THINKING that, at least. When I got to the house, I picked up the salad. However, I don't remember if I turned on the stove to make a cup of coffee, or not. I never did make a cup. I know that for certain. But I can't remember if I turned on the stove.

Now, I'm at work (which is about an hour from my house), and I'm stressing because I keep thinking there MAY be a chance that I DID turn on the stove under the teapot before I left. I have no neighbors I can call to check on the house. All I keep hoping is that I didn't turn on the stove, and that I'll have a house left when I return home tonight.

Because if I did turn on the stove, and my house goes up in flames, Hubby is gonna KILL me.

8 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

May I be the first to welcome you to the land of the senile! The second symptom is the appearance of gray hair. These symptoms are caused by children and your condition will only worsen as they reach teenage years. The only cure...well there is no cure. You have my deepest sympathy. At least you have a house....well we hope you have a house. Ok then, sit back and have a cup of coffee...if you have a pot.

December 18, 2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger The Wonder Worrier said...

Oh no! I hope it worked out and you didn't leave it on. Give us an update so we know your house still exists!

You can come stay with me if your hour is nothing but soot and ashes. xo xo!

December 18, 2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Good news! I still have a house. Whew!

I hate that feeling.

Oh, and Mystic - I started getting grey hair YEARS before I started having kids.

Stephie - thank you! I may just join you, even if I do have a house. :-D

December 19, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Should I be worried that this post is two days old?

December 20, 2007 10:54 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

Limpy - Nah, no worries. I'm just buried at work.

December 20, 2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger The Wonder Worrier said...

Ha ha ha!

Know what I just not noticed?

That I wrote "if your HOUR is nothing but soot and ashes."

UM... yeah... glad you got what I meant. Not sure where that mistake came from!

It was like I was thinking, "Okay, time to spell house.... H-O-U... hmmm R comes before S so I'll just jot that down... oh look! Something shiny!... "

P.S. Glad your HOUSE is okay! I hate that feeling too!

December 20, 2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Hey Steph - wanna know something even funnier? I didn't even notice.

Oh look! Something shiny!!!!

December 21, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Now that the Christmas Rush is past, let us turn our attention to the New Year...Let us lie about resolutions.

December 26, 2007 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home