My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Decisions Decisions

The shit hit the fan at work last week.

Miss Bitca, the lady (and I use that term VERY loosely) who doesn't like the fact that I run around barefoot took it to the next level.

Now, since our original confrontation (and, I must say, I didn't confront, I just shrugged her off to the best of my ability), I have been trying to curtail where I go barefoot. I work in a government building for one of the largest state agencies in California. There are about a hundred people on my floor, and we're set up in cubicles. Rows and rows of cubicles. She and I do not work in the same row (thank GOD). I have been limiting my shoelessness to my row. About a 20 foot hallway, if you will. None of the other 4 people who work on my row have any issues with my lack of shoewear.

Last Thursday, I was talking to the lady in the cubicle next to mine. I was standing at the entrance of her cubicle, and Miss Bitca happened to walk past in the main hallway. She saw that I wasn't wearing shoes, and she stopped. I could tell she wanted to say something, but I didn't give her a chance. I turned my back on her, and just kept talking to my friend. When I was done, I walked back to my office. Left her standing in the hallway, fuming.

Aparently, she decided that since my immediate supervisor wasn't enforcing her wishes, she would take it all the way to the Division Chief. That's right. The woman who's in charge of all of purchasing for our agency now knows that I'm a bad girl, and don't wear my shoes.

I was pissed. My supervisor asked me (again) to try to remember to wear my shoes. I told her I do, whenever I leave the hallway. I produce more contracts for my unit than any of the other analysts. I am lead analyst in my group, and I was given that responsibility after only working here for 8 months! The only thing I ask is that I be comfortable when I work. I hate wearing shoes. They make my feet feel like they're on fire. I have a VERY good circulatory system, and I'm almost never cold. Just the opposite. I have my fan on almost every day of the year.

If Miss Bitca had approached me differently, pulled me aside when she saw that I wasn't wearing shoes, and said something like, "I know it's silly, but it just gives me the wiggins to see bare feet. If you could possibly remember to wear them when you're coming to my area, I would appreciate it," I would have had NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER wearing shoes around her. I understand irrational wiggins. They happen. But she chose to go a different route, and act all high and mighty, and get bitchy.

I called my former supervisor. She scheduled me for an interview on Thursday.

I feel so bad right now. I mean - I love my job. My new supervisor is a complete sweetheart. She didn't ask for Miss Bitca. She inherited that problem when she transferred in. When, in the height of my annoyance last week, I told my supervisor that she was going to lose me, she begged, "Please don't leave me!"

But I cannot stand Miss Bitca. AND, to make matters worse, since I'm lead analyst, I have to start training her next month. I just can't. I cannot be in a confined space with her for any length of time without wanting to break things.

So, day after tomorrow, I have an interview. I haven't told my supervisor yet.

Should I?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lady K said...

Isn't there any way to get rid of that annoying bitch? I mean PLEASE! There are worse things than bare feet. I hardly ever wear my shoes, either, unless I have to walk on concrete in the middle of the summer. Yikes!

June 27, 2007 6:25 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Feet have weird affects on some people..Some like them, some hate them...Can't tell you why, don't know. It does seem like you are over reacting to the Boss. Why give up something you love. Just ignore her.

June 27, 2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow, you sure know how to stick to your guns. I admire that in a person, but is wearing shoes (or not wearing them) really worth finding a new job? I'm just asking, if it is, then do it. But I would tell your supervisor, you may be valuable enough that they are willing to change the rules or let Bitca go before you.

You and Bitca could always have like a joint counseling session together-joking:)

June 28, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

LMAO @ nonny...you SHOULD do that joint counseling thing, just don't wear shoes. LOL

So...did ya go?

June 29, 2007 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home