My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Where's Rudolph when you need him?

Well, it looks like Santa's going to have to bring ole Glow-Nose out of retirement. For our neck of the woods anyway.

The picture above is about as close as I could find of what it was like driving to work this morning. Now, take the visibility in the picture, and reduce it by about 75%, and you have a close approximation. My eyes hurt from straining them during my hour-long drive to work. I could have sworn at some point, they were going to start bleeding.

Lowk and I moved to our current home about 2 years ago. It's a nice place in a small community, and we chose it for just that reason. We knew we would have a commute, but there are more important things than that when considering where you're going to raise your children.

My commute is about half freeway, and half back country two-lane roads. Normally, I love driving the back roads. If it's a light commute day, I can usually get the poor little Neon up to about 80 or 90 mph. Fun stuff. However, on days like today, when you can't see 10 feet in front of your car, it's probably one of the most nerve wracking experiences I have to live through. I could only do about 65 or 70 mph. I mean - jeesh! I felt like I was crawling!

Now, imagine if you will the place where I get on the freeway. There is no "onramp". I have a stop sign. When there's enough of a break in the Northbound traffic, I get to floor it across two lanes of freeway, make my left hand turn to go Southbound, and try to merge into the fast lane. Try doing that when you cannot see oncoming traffic. Woo boy! That's a good way to get your blood flowing!

I haven't even told you about the best part of my commute! On those little two lane back roads, we have a handful of one-lane bridges. Normally, whoever's closer to the bridge has the right-of-way, and the person travelling in the opposite direction pulls off to the side of the road and waits. Try doing that when you cannot see the other side of the bridge. I think I have about two dozen more grey hairs than I started out with this morning. And one more thing - to the idiot who flew past me as I was coming off one of the bridges, who didn't even try to slow down, and just took it for granted that people would get out of your way - the next time I WON'T SWERVE! Got that, asshole? Either your ass is gonna swerve, or you'll just have to pay through your (hopefully broken) nose to repair all the damage you're going to cause. Fucker.

Have a nice day.

10 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

Calm down sweetheart, the other guy couldn't see either, but for a totally different reason. It is hard to see when you drive around with your head shoved up your butt.

December 15, 2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger lowk said...

I'm sorry sweetaheart. I didnt know that was you. :)

December 15, 2005 7:37 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Lowk, you like smoking around gasoline don't you?

December 16, 2005 1:52 AM  
Blogger lowk said...

keeps life exciting.

December 16, 2005 4:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I suppose Rudolf ought to be able to bring Santa through that murkiness. As I remember the lyrics:

Then one foggy Christmas Eve
Santa came to say
Rudolph, with your nose so bright,
Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?

December 18, 2005 9:24 AM  
Blogger lowk said...

That song was written before heat-seeking missles.

December 18, 2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Awww Guys! You take the fun out of it!

LOL

December 19, 2005 7:09 AM  
Blogger lowk said...

I'v been with you when you're driving sweetheart. There's nothing funny about it. (I'm turning gray for more than one reason)

December 19, 2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Glad I live in Kansas, where we swerve to avoid cattle just as often (if not more) than other cars.

December 19, 2005 7:57 PM  
Blogger Lana said...

Calli have Lowk put some Lars missiles on your car and just shoot away. Sometimes I wish I had them on my car.

December 20, 2005 4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home