My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Where I'm From, and Where I'm Going

I'm from . . .

a broken home.
growing up an only child.
losing myself in books.
imaginary friends.
a mother who thought of me more as a friend than a child.
a mother who thought that blond hair and blue eyes were so much better than ours.
having nothing but blond haired, blue eyed baby dolls and Barbies.
a family that thought being a "little bit" prejudiced was okay.
pushing evil under a rug, and being told to 'forget it - it's in the past.'
growing up too soon.

I'm going . . .
to stay married to the man I love more than life itself.
to learn what it's like to have a big family.
to try to teach my love of books to my girls.
to try to teach my children to look inside a person for the goodness.
to make sure I never judge a person by the color of their skin.
to make sure I get my children the dolls THEY want (even if they're blond).
to fight for justice for my children when they've been hurt, no matter how long ago the hurt occurred.
to let my children remain children for as long as possible.

9 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

That's great, Cali. Very uplifting. It's good to see that you can reinvent yourself, that all is not lost if your childhood wasn't what you wished it was. You're a wonderful person, and obviously an even greater wife and mother. I'm glad to be your friend. *hugs*

November 13, 2005 9:57 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

That is simply gorgeous, Callie. Beautiful and had me tearing up. If you don't mind, I may steal that in the near future.

That deserves a bloggie nomination, as far as I'm concerned.

November 14, 2005 5:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Callie. I think it is inspiring when one can reflect on one’s past and determine from it a course for one’s future.

November 14, 2005 9:53 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

lovey
pure love in them there words.

November 14, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger Kal said...

Your kids are lucky to have you. (Well, and Lowk is to, but I figure every guy I know is lucky to have the girl he's with, so that goes without saying...)

November 14, 2005 5:48 PM  
Blogger lowk said...

So where do I fit in????

November 15, 2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Danikabur said...

Wow Callie! Beautiful

November 15, 2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Lowk -

You fit in EVERYWHERE.

;-)

You are the man I married, who I love more than life itself, who I plan on being married to forever.

November 15, 2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger lowk said...

oh

November 15, 2005 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home