My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Update

I know - I know. It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Here's what's going on in my life (what little there is, that is).

First off - KUDOS TO KIDLET AGAIN! No, she didn't rescue Munchkin again. However, she did bring home her progress report last night and received (dun dun DUN!) Three A's, Two B's and a C. WOOT! This from the girl who was getting D's at the beginning of the school year. We're so freaking proud of our oldest. So - it was tacos and ice cream for all last night. Yum!

Munchkin is still the same as ever - cute, precocious, and tormenting her big sister once more. Guess the love only lasted for a few days. *sigh* Such are the wonders of sisterhood, I guess.

Work is . . . interesting. Don't get me wrong - I really like my job. I just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get there every day. However, my boss is great. We get on each other's nerves occasionally, but he respects my approach to things. He always tells me "I know you will say it like it is." Which is very true. He's one of the few bosses who don't expect his employees to kiss his ass. And he also will tell you if he doesn't know something. I respect that about him. Granted - we've gotten into our share of tussles over the past few months, but for the most part, I can say he's the best supervisor I've had since working with the State.

Funny story - I was at work yesterday, in my cubicle, phone in hand, calling my wonderful hubby to thank him for the LOVELY evening before, when my boss walks into my office - just as hubby picks up the phone (naturally). Well, obviously, I couldn't say what I had originally meant to say. So, I quickly asked hubby if he made it to work okay. I was hoping that my boss would realize it was a personal call, and leave, but no. He just stood there. *sigh* Hubby seemed impatient, so I just told him I'd call him back later. I hung up the phone, and turned around to face my boss, when an exasperated, "WHAT??!" escaped from my lips. "Excuse me?" was his reply.

Realizing my faux pas, I quickly recovered, and offered an apology. "I was just on the phone to my husband," I explained rather meekly.

"You could have talked to him," he informed me.

"Uh, not really," I stammered.

"Well, at least I'm glad I went with my first impression," came his rebuttal, as he handed me a piece of paper.

My employee review. Oops.

He was pointing to one line in particular. My interpersonal skills. He had rated me "meets exptectations" on that catagory.

"I was originally going to give you an 'E', like I did on everything else," he informed me. "But at the last minute, I decided not to. I'm so glad I did, after that response."

And he HAD given me an E (exceeds expectations) on all other catagories. COOL! So, I apologized once again, and thanked him.

Guess this means I'm going to have to be extra nice to him for a few weeks. :-D

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations to Kidlet!

As one who was “blessed” with a little sister, I can appreciate Munchkin’s behavior.

An hour’s drive to and from work isn’t the way I like it. However, if the job is to your liking, I can imagine the drive is well worth it.

Who rates your boss on HIS interpersonal skills?

May 07, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger duff said...

are there any tacos left over? i could totally go for 5 or 6 right now...... *stomach growls*

May 07, 2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger JR said...

LOL, just got my review from work too... :O No funny stories out of it, tho. Congrat's on Kidlett's school progress!!!

May 07, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Things seem to be going along rather swimmingly. Your boss does sound cool. My boss and I have worked together for 10 years. We've had many, many fights, some of them screaming matches (real professional, I know). But now we are really in sync with each other and have alot of mutual respect. He's kinda like my big brother now.

May 08, 2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger Danikabur said...

Congrats on the report and a congrats to Kidlet too!!!

BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

May 08, 2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Taco's and Ice Cream for an A???
How about some cold cash or a BMW when she turns 16? I felt so good about this I just went to a Mexican Lunch but I had the Special...No Taco for me.

May 10, 2006 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home