My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Sometimes you're the winshield, sometimes you're the bug . . .

. . . and neither is a very good position to be in.

It's been a crazy week here at Casa de Lowk & Callie.

We had the parent/teacher conference at Kidlet's school today. Actually, it was a little more than parent/teacher. It was parents, teacher, vice-principal, and special programs instructor. And it lasted for an hour. The good news is that Kidlet is doing better than she was at the beginning of the year grade-wise. The bad news is that her test scores went down from the beginning of the year. I know - I know. Makes no sense. However, she was recovering from a really bad cold when they tested her the second time, so we kinda think that's the reasoning behind it. So - she gets to go into the after school extension program. Finally. We've been trying to get her into this program since November/December. But her teacher kept stalling and stalling and giving us all kinds of excuses. But, when faced with both me and my husband and the VP and the other teacher, she kinda had to see things our way. heh heh heh.

Tomorrow, hopefully, I will finally get my permanent crown put in. I say finally because I've had a temporary crown since the end of October. This will be the third "permanent" crown they've tried to put in. Stupid fucking idiot dentist. I'm not too happy with them at this particular moment. Especially since I have this sneaking suspicion that I am going to need a root canal because of all this. It hurts. Badly. After my first visit with the dentist last summer, my initial impression was that he must have been a military dentist . . . for the other side. His bedside manner is awful. He's a conceited prick. And I am so very happy that yesterday was his last day. So - keep your fingers crossed that my new dentist will be a little more knowledgible and nice. Because I am thisclose to having a meltdown when it comes to my mouth.

And speaking of meltdowns, Kidlet finally got to see what mommy looks like when she has a temper tantrum. Yes - I still have temper tantrums. Some things an only child NEVER grows out of, and that's one of them. Saturday, there was a program coming on that she desperately wanted to watch. I promised her she could see it. Then hubby called and wanted to meet us at the mall. Well, I NEVER turn down a trip to the mall, especially when I know I can talk him into getting me one of those yummy pretzles. So, I told Kidlet we'd record her movie. No problem, right? Well, I put in a tape that I wanted to record over, set the timer, shut off the TV, and turned to leave, when the TV spit out the tape. I pulled the tape out, made sure the little tab wasn't pressed in (it wasn't), then turned the TV back on, put the tape back in, and shut off the TV again. Again, it spit the tape back out. So, I grabbed another tape, turned the TV back on, rewound the tape all the way back to the beginning, made sure the timer was set to the right time, and turned the TV off. It spat the new tape back out at me, too. Now, I'm pissed. Lowk is waiting for us, I've given my promise to my wodnerful little girl that we would record one of her favorite movies in the world, and here is my TV giving me attitude. So, I got attitude back. I hit the TV. Repeatedly. In front of my 10-year-old, very confused and very frightened child. I hit the TV. Then, I pushed the tape in, turned the TV off, and stared it down. The tape stayed in. I felt very much like the Russian in "Armageddon" when he decides to beat the malfunctioning ship when they're trying to take off from the asteroid. I'm sure I looked quite a bit like him, too. Only problem was, instead of using a pipe wrench, I used my hand. Which, five days later, is still sore.

And now Munchkin is crying. I love being a mom . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on the temper tantrum! We all need them occasionally to keep our mental heath.

March 22, 2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Eww. You look like the blonde guy from Fargo?

I'm so crushed.

March 22, 2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

LMAO!!!

Nick - of all the things I've been congratulated on, having a temper tantrum is the most unique.

Joe - I never said I LOOKED looked like him. But my actions definately mirrored his in Armageddon.

March 23, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think the TV deserved it.

You just have to explain to her that sometimes appliances are bad and need negative feedback.

March 25, 2006 3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home