My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

New Post

Yeah, I know it's been awhile since my last post. All I can say in my defense is that it's been insane around here lately.

First of all, my daycare provider finally sold her house. Wah. I love this woman. She's been watching my children for over 10 years. She's absolutely fantastic. I can say nothing bad about her. She's wonderful. She's caring. And she deals with my shit more than any "daycare provider" should have to. The kids love her to pieces. The whole reason Hubby and I even looked for a house out here was because she moved out here. We followed her like a bad habit. LOL. But, we're not moving back to Sacramento. We like it here too much. So - dilema.

We found an all day Preschool for Munchkin. In fact, it will be cheaper for us to do the all day Preschool, rather than the half-day Preschool with L (the daycare provider) picking her up and caring for her the last half of the day (which we've been doing since September). So - yay on one point.

The dilema comes from Kidlet. There are only four daycare providers in our little town, and NONE of them pick up kids from school. Kidlet gets out at 2:00, and the earliest I can get her is 3:00. The school has an after-school program, but there is no room for her (not even for an hour). Which means I have to figure out a way to bend the laws of time in order for her to not be alone. I don't want her walking home by herself after school, even though it's only about 4 blocks from our house to the school. Even though she's 10, and should probably learn how to do things on her own. I just can't bring myself to allow that. I have one week to figure this out.

If I could find someone to pick her up that I trusted, I wouldn't be in such a quandry. I'm not a very social person, and I honestly do not know very many people around here. I don't want to ask my neighbor to pick her up, mainly because I don't want to feel indebted to her for any reason. I like her well enough, but we're not on the friendliest of terms. She's come through for me before, but I honestly don't really want to give her something she can hold over me.

Dilema number two comes from work. We're losing two members of our team within a week of each other, one of whom is the "lead analyst" for our team. Now, I've only been there 6 months, and two of the other analysts have been there for years and years. However, the manager of our team wants me to be lead analyst. Me. The newbie. The one who relies on the other two seasoned analysts for advice. The manager doesn't believe it will cause any problems with them, but I'm not sure he's right. I told the manager to approach them with his decision delicately, and if he forsees problems in their reactions, that we can come up with a better solution. But, I've accepted the role, and hope to God I don't get attitude from the other guys.

Dilema #3 has essentially already been solved. My fantastic, wonderful, smart, hard-working Hubby had been having issues at work. I'm not thrilled with his employer and the way he runs the business. Neither was Hubby. So, he went for an interview for another firm. It was a little closer to home (not much), but it would have been swing shift, and instead of working 5 days a week, they work four 10's. He got the job. In fact, they were so impressed with him, they offered him $3.00 more an hour than the starting pay for the position, and wanted to get him on the fast-track to Lead position. Hubby didn't think it was fair to not give his current job no chance to counter the offer, since they do rely on him for so much (imo - he practically runs his unit, and doesn't get the backing he needs from upper management). Well, on the second try, they offered him a better deal than the new place. He won't have to work Swing Shift, but they will allow him to alter his schedule so he can drop the girls off, and his "weekend" is now Sunday and Monday, so our childcare problem is only 4 days long instead of 5. So, he told the new place "thanks but no thanks" and is staying put. I'm glad they finally realize how much he does, but I still don't like them very much. :-P

There's other stuff going on, but I think I'll save it for later.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

My goodness buddy you do have a full plate. Nothing throws a wrench into your life like trying to make arrangements for your kids. I had my son in a person's home for daycare and then she decided she wanted to get a "real" job so I had to scramble and find another place for him. Then a few months later she quit her job and is now begging me to let her watch my son again. No deal, I'm not taking him out of where he is just so 4 months from now she can tell me she doesn't want to do it anymore.

You shouldn't worry about taking that position, I understand why you are hesistant, but you should always look out for yourself first and it's quite a compliment to you that it has been offered.

In regards to your husband, it sucks that it takes the threat of him leaving in order for them to admit how valuable he is. That's how it always works.

February 21, 2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Regarding dilemma #2: will you have the power to fire the other two analysts? Or at least make them wear gimp masks and bondage gear?

'cuz that would make for some awesome posts.

February 21, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Sounds like your plate has been a little bigger than mine lately. I almost feel bad about all the whining I did last week.

Thanks for the pick-me-up note on my blog.. I failed to leave a good reply to your comment.

February 21, 2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Nonny - It was a real boost to my ego that my boss wanted to make me lead. I know that he did it mainly because I am still too new to take alot of the shortcuts that the other analysts make. Also, I haven't been there long enough to "specialize" in any one type of contract. I just kinda do them all, and hope that I do it right. LOL.

Joe - are you kidding me? Fire a civil servant? Puh-lease. The only reason I decided to take a state job in the first place is because it takes an act of Congress to get let go. Oh - and regarding the whole co-worker in bondage . . . I'll leave that to their wives, thankyouverymuch.

Mark - I hope all is going better for you this week. I haven't been by your blog in a few days.

February 21, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Insanity and dilemmas such as the ones you’ve been facing are excellent reason to postpone blogging.

February 21, 2006 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home