My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I hate it when I do that . . .

I was at work this afternoon, getting ready to shut down, when I received an e-mail from one of my contract managers asking me to forward an addendum to a contractor.

Oh. shit.

I forgot to do it. I talked to him about it last Thursday, and he e-mailed me what he needed to go into the addendum. But I received it right before it was time to go home, and Friday was a State holiday. Monday I had an interview first thing in the morning, and by the time I got into work . . . well, let's just say that the addendum was one of the last things on my mind.

No problem, I thought - I can send the addendum out tomorrow, and cover my butt. One problem I didn't realize until I was leaving -- the contract due date is tomorrow.

So, I'm going to have to call the contract manager (who is one of my least favorite people in the world, by the way) first thing tomorrow morning and eat crow.

I HATE it when that happens!!!!


ETA - I didn't actually fess up to it. I called early this morning and left a message on his voicemail saying that I was going to delay the bid opening for a week, due to the fact that "I forgot the bid opening was this week, and I didn't send the original addendum out overnight."

Yeah, I'm a complete wuss.

12 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

"Eating crow." Where did that expression come from anyway?

April 05, 2006 5:58 PM  
Blogger Jerrster said...

I think the expression "eating crow" comes from farmers who forget to make scarecrows for their corn fields...and after their crop is eaten by all the crows the farmer is reduced to eating the crows.

at first I thought that was funny till after writing it, cuz it sounded just dumb enough to be the truth...butI'm sure it's not.

:::waves hi to Callie::::

April 05, 2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Oh man, that sucks. I've done stuff like that, too. Why is it always the people who you really dislike that you have to call and eat crow? Why can't it be the NICE contractor or boss, you know?

Have fun.

April 06, 2006 5:08 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

Jerry - you are so full of you-know-what! LMAO!

Okay - looked it up - here is the supposed origins of "eating crow":

(Updated January 2006) The origin of to eat crow is not known with certainty, although it is clear that it originated in America in the 19th century. Its meaning is similar to the phrase to eat humble pie. It is widely acknowledged that crow tastes terrible, so this is one possible explanation for its origin! One source notes that Charles Funk cited a story in 1888 that the term came from an incident during the War of 1812. During a truce, an American soldier accidentally crossed into British territory while hunting. He shot a crow there, and was found by an unarmed British officer who, by complimenting him on his excellent shooting, managed to persuade the American to hand over his weapon. The officer then forced the unarmed American to take a bite out of the crow. The American did so, but when the British officer returned his gun to him and tried to send him on his way, the American forced the officer to eat the rest of the crow. The problem with this story is that the phrase does not turn up in the written record until the 1870s. We like the "crow just tastes awful" explanation best.

April 06, 2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's not being a wuss, that's called being business savy. I do that shit all the time and then scramble to cover my ass. I'm actually getting pretty good at it.

April 06, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, contracts and addendums, etc. So business like! From now on you are "Business Girl!"

I thought there was a story in the Little House on the Prairie Books where the ate crow, and said it was good? Maybe they were just real hungry?

April 07, 2006 1:22 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Callie, you must remember..To err is human, To Forgive DIVINE, neither of which is part of your company policy....Better than dumping the database.

April 07, 2006 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't u just blame that the addendum email went to email hell? :P

trix.

April 07, 2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

I wished I could. Unfortunately, we don't e-mail them. We overnight them. Too easy to prove I was wrong. :-P

April 08, 2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger JUST ME said...

dude...like your blog. :)

~Jess

April 08, 2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We all make mistakes; many of us try to cover our rears. Doesn’t make us a wuss. I think you handled the faux pas well.

April 09, 2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

Thanks for sticking up for me today! You're amazing (and brave).

April 12, 2006 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home