My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

This is gonna be interesting

We have new neighbors.

That's nothing new. We're ALWAYS getting new neighbors. We live near a military base, so the influx and outgo of neighbors is quite high.

Our new neighbors seem great. Their oldest and my youngest struck up an instant friendship. That was wonderful, since Munchkin doesn't have many kids in the neighborhood her age who can play. And, as the overprotective Mom, I don't allow her to go the three blocks to the nearest classmate to play, unless I walk with her (which, lets face it, it almost never - as I am a lazy slob).

The mom has a wicked sense of humor, and we seem to get along really well. She called yesterday, and asked if I would like to accompany her a few times a week to the base gym to work out.

Me? Work out? In public? I think not.

Let's just say that I'm not entirely keen on the whole gym thing. I'm super self-conscious. When I work out, I do it at home. Alone. With NO ONE watching. Not even my husband.

"Sure! That sounds great!" I heard myself say.

WHAT?!!!

Well, it seems I've gotten lazy. I know it. My wardrobe is definately showing signs of the strain. I used to get up between 4:00 and 5:00 AM to do my workouts. Now, if I get up at 5:30, and fit in a half an hour of yoga, I'm doing good. And I'm not good that often.

So, I'm going to break one of my rules. I'm actually going to work out where people can see me. Maybe it will shame me into actually showing some signs of progress.

Wish me luck. If I die of embarassment, I'll have Hubby dear write my obituary.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Wonder Worrier said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

You'll be fabulous and you will not die of embarrassment. You will flaunt your hot ass around the gym like nobody's business! lol.

April 22, 2009 6:51 PM  
Blogger Motherdear said...

Oh, Callie...you will do fine. The 'public' aspect will give you inspiration. And remember you are doing this for You, this is CallieTime. Not everyone there will be all buff (in fact, there are probably a lot of base wives with deployed husbands who stress-eat to cope, so you're probably going to be in great company as far as 'self-conscious exerciser' goes. And all in all - does it matter? You're doing this for you, and long-term, for your beloved and your kids. And as a benefit, you're developing a budding friendship. Your new pal sounds like just the ticket (in fact, she sounds a lot like you from the little you've said) and this has so many positives to it! So go, enjoy yourself, and most of all, be PROUD of yourself that you're doing something new and different, with someone new and different. It takes a lot of courage to shake up the routine, and to face your demons, whatever they may be. You are my hero!!!

And remember - it's just one exercise at a time, one session at a time, one day at a time (just like labor pains - each one you do is one you never have to have again on that day!) And who knows, as time goes on, you may have such a great time that you actually ENJOY going!

Best of luck, babes. You deserve to have the best you can give yourself. (((HUGS)))

April 23, 2009 10:49 AM  
Blogger Ookami Snow said...

The new neighbors sound nice...

Maybe too nice...

duhn duhn duhnnnnnn!

April 24, 2009 7:51 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

you'll be fine. I had a friend who never wanted to work out in public with me as well, and i never understood why...


good luck!

April 24, 2009 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home