My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

But . . . but . . . I FEEL healthy!

Stupid doctors.

I had to go to an appointment for them to renew my prescriptions. The PA took my blood pressure, then checked my chart, and very sweetly told me that since this is the third time my blood pressure has been over normal, I am now officially diagnosed with High Blood Pressure.

Gah!

She has given me two months to try to lower it with diet, exercise, etc. If I can't reduce it naturally, she's gonna put me on drugs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sucks.

Not that getting healthy sucks. What sucks is having a family with a history of HBP and high cholesterol. I eat fairly healthful meals. I exercise. Well, okay - I don't exercise as much as I should. But I DO exercise.

My only really bad habit is alcohol. Which, admittedly, I probably drink more than I should. Hey - you try being the last in a long line of bartenders, and try not to drink. It's practically impossible.

So, I'm sitting here drinking my one glass of red wine (which I'm not a HUGE fan of - I'll drink it if that's what's offered, but I'm more of a whiskey type of gal). I'm drinking it because it's supposed to be good for me, and it's now the only little bit of alcohol I'm allowing myself. I had a veggie sandwich for dinner. I've cut my sodium intake by at least half.

And, starting tomorrow - I am going to attempt to work out at least 5 times per week.

If anyone has any hints on how to make food taste good without salt, I'm all ears. Cuz the substitutes I've tasted so far have no taste.

9 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

I use very little salt so I don't know how to tell you to stop using it. I am starting to put on weight though, so I will join you in the lack of exercise department. I need to tighten the abs. I don't know about the 5 times a week workout though...got to give the body recovery time. Relax with a nice bottle of Jose Q!

July 27, 2008 4:41 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

Well, I'm having a Mai Tai right now. Yeah, that no alcohol thing didn't last long. As long as I don't overdo it, I should be okay.

And, I got in the pool today, and worked out a bit. Tomorrow is aerobics and yoga. Tuesday is weights and yoga. Then I'll alternate the two - weights and aerobics, and then swimming on the weekends.

That should help a great deal.

I need to get this under control. I won't be able to take a pill every day. Hell, that's how I ended up with Kidlet.

Sorta keep forgetting to take them . . .

:-)

July 27, 2008 9:11 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Almost 4 in the morning and a Mai Tai sounds great for some reason...

July 28, 2008 12:49 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Mystic is right about giving your body time to rest. Don't overdo it this early on. The more you work out, the easier it will get, and the less time it will take to recover.

As for the food thing, you just have to find food items that you like without salt. Which is easier said than done.

July 28, 2008 6:01 AM  
Blogger Gila Pyke said...

Hi... I surfed here through Penny and Mossy's blogs on a particularly procrastinatory day. I hope you don't mind my weighing in!

I had a similar doctor's visit a few years ago, and have similar shitty genes w.r.t Hypertension. I ended up seeing two different cardiologists, for two years, before I even hit my thirties and after a half dozen disastrous reactions to different medications they decided to "just leave it and see what happens".

For cooking without salt, I tend to use lime juice and cilantro to add flavour. We cook a lot more vegetable-heavy meals these days (even some vegan ones) and anything with tomatoes in always pep up with lime juice and cilantro, or fresh basil. For other stuff I'll use a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar -- it adds pep AND is rumoured to be good for cholesterol. (which isn't a problem for me... but might be one day given my ()&@)&#)@# genes)

As for the activity stuff, I was pretty active before but started a serious yoga routine six months ago. I was doing twice a week plus some extra at home, but the meditation and regular reminders to be mindful really seemed to change some of my stress reactions. My doc's visit last week was a big surprise -- after so many years, my blood pressure is stark raving normal. I'm not suggesting you try yoga (unless you want to, but sticking with what you like is more important than any given exercise IMHO) -- I'm just trying to offer a ray of hope that it CAN go away, without meds, and without getting hurt in the process. I was TERRIFIED to be "diagnosed" with something, when it happened.

July 29, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Thanks for the advice, Gila. And nice to meet you, too.

I've been doing yoga fairly regularly for about 2 years. Nothing too strenuous. Just a 20-25 minute routine a few days a week. I should probably step it up.

What is most likely to happen is that I'll end up cooking two different dinners - one for me, and one for everyone else. However, my family would run screaming in the opposite direction if I even mentioned the word vegan, let alone cooked a whole vegan meal. LOL

July 29, 2008 3:51 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

I don't know if I am repeating... but eventually the less salt you use the more you taste it.

Also - that's awsome. If you need any work out tips - I'd be happy to share my torture routines ;-)

July 29, 2008 5:05 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

PS - i love red wine... but I think one glass is supposed to be the rule... I prefer one bottle. LOL

July 29, 2008 5:06 PM  
Blogger lowk said...

Cutting down on salt is gonna really be a scarfice on my part. (if you get my drift)

July 30, 2008 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home