My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Go California!

As I'm sure everyone is aware, the California Supreme Court voted last week in a landmark decision to overturn the ban on gay marriage.

I, for one, couldn't be happier.

When the original Proposition was up for vote about 6 years ago, I said then that it was unconstitutional. Why should I be voting on whether someone could or couldn't get married? It was INSANE. After all, just because someone is gay doesn't mean they have their rights taken away.

Then the damned conservative right wing went and approved it! I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. This is California. One of the most liberal states in the union. And they had just voted to legalize discrimination!

Then Mr. Hollywood himself refused to take it off the books, saying it ought to be up to the lawmakers to decide something like that. Wussy. He says he's a Republican, but he's not. He falls right smack dab in the middle of the road (where I like to reside).

Anyway, I didn't have much hope for the Supreme Court of CA. Most of the Justices were appointed by Republicans. I figured they'd wuss out and say that the will of the people, blah blah blah.

A little after 10:00 AM, I recieved a news tickler on my computer, so I checked to see what the verdict was.

THEY LEGALIZED IT!!!!

I was so happy, I didn't stop smiling all day.

Not even the 300+ comments on the local newspaper's article, half of which were claiming homosexuality was a sin, and society was going to crumble, and this is the end of times, didn't diminish my spirits.

Now, today I read that Sulu is FINALLY getting married!!!! Can't get much better than that.

Now all I have to do is dump hubby and convince Queen Latifah to marry me.

Hubba hubba hubba!


What's that, Honey? Am I drooling over Queen Latifah again? Nooooo. Not at all. I'll just be a minute. Yes, I'm coming to bed. Love you, too!

Shhh, blogverse - this'll be our little secret. Hee!

7 Comments:

Blogger The Wonder Worrier said...

First of all, I missed your birthday! So HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you had a fabulous one! xo xo!

Secondly, I'm very happy about ruling in California on allowing gay marriage! WOOT. I think everyone deserves the same rights, and if people are in love they are in love! Man, woman, animal - whatev! (Although that's not to say I condone man-animal love, strictly same-species love - but gender doesn't matter to me!).

Wonderful move by the California Supreme Court.

May 20, 2008 7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the decision was a grand, liberating one. Of course, I suspect that the right-wingers will fight back. The battle may have been won, but the war isn’t over.

May 21, 2008 5:18 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

Blogger keeps eating my comments!

Anyway, as I was saying before cyberspace got hungry . . .

Stephie - Thank you so much! Next year is the big 4-0. Woot!

Nick - The right wingers are already trying to put an initiative on the ballot to change the constitution to read that marriage is only between a man and a woman. However, the Guv already said he'd veto it if it passed.

May 21, 2008 12:00 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Hooray!! Finally the world is catching up with itself.

May 21, 2008 2:09 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

I support homosexual marriage. It's the right-wingers who shouldn't be allowed to marry/breed.

May 22, 2008 10:20 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

Maybe I shouldn't be a registered Republican, huh???

May 22, 2008 1:15 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Where did you go? (blogspeak for - come back and post we miss you)

May 28, 2008 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home