My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Worst Interview Ever, Part Deux

You guys remember my worst interview ever? I posted about it approximately a month ago under the heading "Well that sucked". Well, for those of you who told me I'd probably get hired (Limpy, that would be you) . . . you're still wrong, but maybe not for long.

My boss told me on Tuesday that they called her for a reference. When she first told me, I thought she was talking about the other interview I went on (for the manager position at my old job), and wasn't too surprised. They loved me there. Well, sort of. At least they didn't fire me, and that's a step in the right direction.

When she elaborated that it was Marysville, I nearly fell off my chair. I told her that they must have been on drugs. Hell, even I wouldn't hire me after that disastrous interview, and I know how brilliant I am.

They haven't offered the position (I'm still not expecting them to), but it's puzzling. No one at the State does extra work if they can avoid it, and they usually don't call for references unless they're seriously considering appointing that person. The only reasonable explanation is that they may have realized that I truly wasn't at my best that day, and looked at my list of references (which is pretty impressive), and decided to give me the benefit of the doubt.

If they offer me the position, I'll take it. Not because I think I'll enjoy the job (one look at the duty statement assured me I wouldn't), but because it's about 30 miles closer to my house than my current job. Also, there's a chance I may be able to earn actual overtime there. And more money is always good.


Edited to add: I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally owe Limpy $10.00. Hopefully, I'll be happy there. If not, it's probably easier to transfer within the agency once I'm there, rather than trying to get in from the outside. I've been trying to get a job in that place for the last three freaking years!

Go me! Go me! Go me! It's almost my birthday! It's almost my birthday!

Woot!

15 Comments:

Blogger limpy99 said...

You totally owe me $10.

April 28, 2008 7:49 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

They haven't hired me yet. No $$ until I get an actual job offer . . .

old man.

*snicker*

April 28, 2008 9:23 AM  
Blogger Lady K said...

Here's wishing you luck. But if you're gonna work for the state, I might have to start hating you. I'm pretty mad at the morons that work for this state right now. You are SO right in saying they won't go the extra mile if they don't have to. They'd have to kill someone to get fired.

Then again, more money AND being closer to home are always a good thing. Maybe I should apply for a state job. ;)

April 28, 2008 1:18 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Lady - you could always move to California and work for the state!

:-D

April 28, 2008 1:29 PM  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

Oh, State jobs don't have anything to do with interviews! :)

Hoping for the best for ya.

April 28, 2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

I think I'm going to have to get some 3-D glasses to interpret those word verification thingies. They are getting worse and worse and worse!

April 28, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

So you had a bad interview...You know that it is more than that, but after what you said, I'm amazed too...but I'm happy that you are at least still in the running. What concerns me is that you already seem to think you won't be happy there...Hmmmmm? Hopefully the people will be nice. You confuse me sometimes...Big pay raise I hope.

April 28, 2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Teri - I was thinking the same thing earlier about the word verification. They're getting nuts.

Mystic - sadly, no pay raise. However, there will be more $$ in my pocket each month in gas savings and public transportation. Plus, I'll be able to spend more time with my family, with is the deciding factor in this decision.

April 28, 2008 5:18 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Your reasons for accepting this job make sense to me. I wish you the best at your new job...I rode on your Rapid Transportation System once. Slowest dang ride I ever was on...I think they do that on purpose.

April 29, 2008 12:42 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Congrats, Callie! I'll move to California if you can guarantee me a state job. Preferably either L.A., cuz my older brother is there, or S.F., one of my favorite cities. I'll take anywhere but the desert. :)

April 29, 2008 5:38 AM  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

Yay for you! (toldja it had nothing to do with interviews... haha)

April 29, 2008 12:14 PM  
Blogger Ookami Snow said...

Congrats on the job! I read the post on doing pivot tables in Excel, I'll have to pass on the news to some people around the dept. We spend a good week going pivot tables in our intro to stats class, now I have ammo to tell my students why it is important.

:)

April 30, 2008 9:21 AM  
Blogger The Wonder Worrier said...

Congrats on the new job!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

May 01, 2008 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yayayyayyaya!!! congrats cali! 30miles closer is like tons of gas savings!

good luck with the final OK! now i gotta go read about this interview....LOL!

trix.

May 01, 2008 8:16 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

That is awesome! Congrats!

May 06, 2008 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home