My Photo
Name:
Location: Wheatland, California, United States

I'm a mom. I'm a civil servant. I have a sense of humor, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

New Computer Blues

Last month, hubby and I finally broke down and bought a new computer.

This is a huge deal for us. I mean, we've had the same computer for about 8 years. He took a computer class, so he knew the basics about upgrading it, adding memory, etc. But, the poor thing was on its last leg, so we took the plunge and purchased a new machine.

I hate it.

I can't believe how slow it is. I mean, I know we don't have the kind of money it takes to purchase one of those superfast machines that can do everything but the cha-cha, but still . . . I was expecting faster than my 8-year-old machine.

Plus - Windows Vista. What a pain in the ass!!! Most of our programs don't work on the stupid thing, even AFTER we've downloaded the patch.

This includes our picture software. I have a camera full of pictures. I was going to post how cute my kids were at the Harry Potter Book party, but you'll just have to take my word for it, because I can't get the stupid thing to acknowledge my camera.

Hubby's going to go fiddle with it, and see if he can find a way around it. At some point in the future, I'm hoping to show pictures of myself and the kids, in all our witchy costumed glory. Until then, just picture me throwing darts at a picture of Bill Gates . . .

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is all kinds of crappy. The really shitty thing is that your new computer is probably more capable than the old in every possible way, but Vista and the OEM clutter drag down the performance so much you'd never know it.

July 31, 2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

What's OEM???

July 31, 2007 11:20 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Can't you keep your old computer to store your pictures...then it will be like having a external drive...? Did you like the book?

July 31, 2007 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, HP, Dell, etc.

July 31, 2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

What a drag! Literally! I think Vista is a bunch of bullshit, and just another way for Gates to make even more money than he can't spend in one lifetime. Ass. Throw a dart for me, too, okay?

August 02, 2007 6:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

None of that in good, especially for a new computer. Even the slowest should be light years faster than one manufactured 8 tears ago. May I join you in the dart throwing?

August 04, 2007 3:47 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

It would seem by the delay that you have not mastered the new machine yet...

August 05, 2007 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ctrl - alt - del

:) trix.

August 06, 2007 4:51 PM  
Blogger Shanshu said...

I myself have finally decided to ditch Microsoft entirely. My next laptop will be a Macbook Pro.

Apple is my new master.

August 07, 2007 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home